StationRipper Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > StationRipper - Rip Shoutcast stations to MP3's > Fair Use
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs it just me or....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it just me or....
    Posted: 09 January 2004 at 8:29pm

are some of the stations on to this thing? I don't think it's totally associated to IP. It wouldn't make any sense because from a function point of view they would see the ip as just another listener. I think they've come up with a way to ID the client program and then block the IP. I once lost connection to a blues station and then tried to reconnect to it. It flat out refused the connection.

Get http://403 access forbidden (try changing the user agent) from ripper

Also noticed that once the IP seems to have been blocked, you can't get to that station using a different client.

Any comments or ideas other that trying to get a new IP? 

Edited by gratajik
gratajik View Drop Down
Music Guru
Music Guru
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gratajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2004 at 9:09pm

What version of StationRipper were you using?  Did you have more than one stream going against the same station (like, DI has a bunch for example)?  Did you rip over a very long period of time?

-Greg

Driven1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driven1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2004 at 7:59pm

Using Version 0.01.10 and no, wasn't ripping the exact same station, however I was ripping from 3 stations of different genre by the same provider. I know what you were getting at and already tested that theory out. If I connect to only one station, from one provider that seems to be keeping track I will get maybe one or two tunes and then the connection is lost. Upon trying to reconnect the connection is refused. Length of time does not appear to be an issue as there are other stations that I can rip for hours on end with no trouble at all. It seems that the stations backed by serious money are the ones that seem to be able to detect what's going on.

It may also be helpful to know that peerguradian has blocked stuff coming in from an IP associated with Warner Brothers on some occasions when this happens...

Rejected: 209.234.157.12 - Time Warner CO (01-06-2004 @ 14:53:24)

Rejected: 209.234.157.12 - Time Warner CO (01-07-2004 @ 10:08:49)
Rejected: 209.234.157.12 - Time Warner CO (01-07-2004 @ 10:08:49)
Rejected: 209.234.157.12 - Time Warner CO (01-07-2004 @ 10:08:52)

Rejected: 209.234.157.12 - Time Warner CO (01-07-2004 @ 22:39:19)

notice the time stamps and that all of these occured while ripping

I've entertained the thought of allowing that IP as it may be a "keep alive" ping but didn't want to entertain the thought that it may be an attempt by them of ID'ing the machine. Although I think they already have.

2 examples of stations I've had trouble with...

RadioStorm.com Classic - any RadioStorm station for that matter

BellyUp4Blues

all 128 bit streams

Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in trying to get a different IP to see if that changes anything. I am very well versed on how to do this, even to the point of clearing my arps and waiting for the lease to expire on the servers. Haven't gotten lucky. Perhaps my provider has staticed me due to bandwith activity to keep an eye on me. Don't know. So from that aspect of things I'll be of no help.

Just downloaded Winamp 5.01 and will see if I can connect to any of the trouble stations after getting booted from the Ripper with that and see what happens. I may try setting ripper to use an annonymous proxy to see if I can reconnect that way (station should see it as a different IP) will let you know what happens. All I can give you for now.

By the way, other than that little malfunction, this IS the best station ripper out there so far.

Driven1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driven1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2004 at 11:08pm

Update...

Tried as I might, I couldn't reproduce the problem tonight. Maybe I'm just getting paranoid. Will let you know IF it does occur again and will report the particulars.

bodymodca View Drop Down
Music Listener
Music Listener

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodymodca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2004 at 9:47pm

I have got an invalid TCP Flag alert form 64.62.197.5

TCP Source Port: 8004
TCP Destination Port: 1654
TCP Flags invalid: 0x00000bd3

he.1 magnatune.com         ;         Lyris Technologies

I connected SR to magnatune.com but it disconnected and would not reconnect. I cleared it from SR and got this invalid Tag alert about 15 min later. This is the first time I have got any unusual communication after several days of Station Ripper bliss .

gratajik View Drop Down
Music Guru
Music Guru
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gratajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2004 at 6:31pm

Have you been able to connect since then? Any other problems on other stations?

-Greg

Canny View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2004 at 6:53pm
Hey guya, I have a good question for you. The thing is that one of my roommates is a Lawyer how is wokring for one of the record labels. A while ago, I showed him nice and sweet StationRipper, and he told me that it is illegal to do that(rip stations). Since then we have been fighting over this topic almost everyday. PLZ TELL somebody who is right. Thnax
Anonymous View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2004 at 6:23am

As a radio broadcaster via the web I can say that in shoutcast when you are administering your station you can see the IP of every connection to your webcast and have the authority to ban or kick any IP You want from connecting. Personally I dont care if people record my station as long as it isnt at capacity and preventing another person from listening in. If that was the case I would just kick one of the accounts or ban it until listener level was reduced and then re-allow them to. In fact three of my biggest listeners are rippers and I have gave them preference on connection (always allowed a connection) because they choose my station day after day and deserve the priority.

BTW If you really love a station that allows the ripping why not offer a donation of money to them? They can use it to buy better progs, or music or something that only will benefit your listening enjoyment more.

gratajik View Drop Down
Music Guru
Music Guru
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gratajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2004 at 7:55pm
Hi Canny,

Yeah, I agree, it's a good question and an ongoing fight :)

When I first wrote and released StationRipper, I believed that as long as a user doesn't share what he rips, it's a non-infringing act under fair-use.  It's essentially the same as you recording a radio station or TV program for yourself (again, you're not going to public display it or sell it).  The recording industry keeps saying that because it's a "perfect" recording it's a different thing.  While it's certainly possible to get a somewhat perfect recording, 128k streams are not by any stretch of the imagination "perfect".  I'd say more like good FM.  Sometimes much worse, depending on lag, the original recording, or lower bit streams. 

And add into that mix the fact that LOTS of streams you record via any ripper is going to have cross fading, miss-matching start and end points, and DJ overlays, I'd personally stay away from calling it a "perfect" recording :)  This is actually the number one complaint of users of rippers, both StationRipper and others.

Anyway, I still personally believe that it's protected under fair use, but the industry is trying its best to take away that right from the public.  I don't know where it's going to go, I can only hope we'll come to some kind of balance between the interests of the recording industry and the public (note I say recording industry  and not artists, as I believe that the interests of both don't always match very well). 

It's actually kind of sad, the way the industry is trying to stamp out any type of innovation that they (mistakenly?) perceive to be something bad for them.  Since I started listing to music via the internet (mostly MP3.com and Shoutcast stations), the type and amount of music I listen to has been expanded HUGELY.  Yes, I don't buy much top 40 any more, but I've increased the amount of music I purchase (again, because the stuff you get off the internet often isn't the greatest, and if I really like a band/song I want to get a clean copy - not to mention supporting the band).  That's why I put "Buy Music" in - it's what *I* wanted in the application.  Now, instead of having to manually go find the great song I'm listing to, I can press a button to get a list of albums it's on and buy it.  Or add it to my Amazon wish list for a later purchase.  The only thing I don't like is having to buy the entire album.  Once someplace like iTunes allows remote searches, I'll probably use that instead.

I'd think instead of suing and pounding on their customers, the music industry would try to better figure out how to take advantage of this.  One suggestion I've seen that makes a lot of sense is to charge file-shares/rippers/etc. a flat yearly fee.  Pay it and copy all the music you want.  I'd THINK this would really open a nice steady recurring revenue stream for artists (and recurring revenue streams are something I personally like a lot...)

Anyway.  I'm just a programmer, and tend to get logical about this kind of thing.  Neither of which seems to be the norm for the Music Industry :)

As always, I DO recommend consulting a lawyer if you have any questions about this - I don't believe they'll actually be able to give you the "correct' answer as I don't think anyone really knows what's allowed and not, as these laws are evolving as we go...

-Greg
magic View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2004 at 3:04am
I seem to be having a problem connecting to stations... most of them come up with the error saying that it will say unable to access that stations info.... i have only been successfull in ripping 2 songs from the one station i seem to be able to get connected with, but when i check the "my rips" after ripping all night, i only had 2 songs and they were only partial songs at that.... so is it just me or is there something going on that i have no control over? 

Edited by gratajik
FattyBones View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FattyBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2004 at 10:37pm
I use Shoutcast for on hours end, day after day, while i write code.  I noticed similar problems when I _wasn't_ ripping.  I was having trouble with my internet, and ShoutCast took much longer to recover than the internet did. This was during spring break.  I think your internet just hiccupped a little.  Either that, or it's some type of hogging issue.  People nearly never enforce license agreements with code. Don't know why. Lots of people use pirate copies of stuff that connect to the internet every time you use them. They can't tell legit from a hole in the ground. You're just paranoid.

Edited by gratajik
qponique View Drop Down
Music Listener
Music Listener

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qponique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2004 at 2:59am

You're just paranoid.

AMEN ;)

@gratajik As long as the station pays for the music licenses (as a (web)radio), you're allowed to copy this for personal use, as it would be with a regular radio station. Whatever the music industry says about perfect copies etc. is BS, because there IS digital radio already spreading through the aether. These stations pay their bills and you are allowed to record these stations. You are also allowed to record web stations as long as they pay their license fees to the music industry. There is virtually no difference between "normal" digital radio stations and *cast powered streams.

Edited by qponique
hoopster8 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoopster8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2004 at 4:43am
I have never seen this question addressed anywhere so here goes. I have hundreds of cds, records (45,33 1/3rds,78s), as well as cassettes. If I use StationRipper to record a song in mp3 format that I ALREADY HAVE on one of the above mentioned formats, does that make it a legal copy of that song. I have purchased this song, in one format or the other, but is the mp3 legal?
johnw View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2004 at 12:38pm

well, my understanding is that you don't even have to have the copy, as long as your record it for yourself (fair use).  but yah, if you had the cd then I don't think they'd be able to do anything to 'ya, if you want to be very safe....

-jw

Pablo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2004 at 3:10am

Time Shifting has been explicitly ruled legal (fair rights) by the US supreme court in the TV/VCR context. I use this program mainly for Time Shifting and I'm sure many people do the same. As far as I know, if a program has a substantial fair right usage, the fact that some people use it for illegal activities, even if true, wouldn't make the program illegal. Then the only problem would be if the code violated the DCMA for instance by bypassing a copy protection scheme, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

So, using common sense and a reasonable if simple-minded interpretation of the laws, I can't see how StationRipper could be ruled illegal. But we know how the RIAA bribes lawmakers and judges, so day after day the law and its interpretation is closer and closer to the idiotic, narrow and dictatorial view of the RIAA and farther and farther away from logic, common sense and traditional democratic American values. 

I would expect Cease and dessist letters and threats of lawsuits very soon, if they haven't come already.

I wish the developer the best of luck. Not only he's spending much time and talent with no money in return, but he's confronting one of the most blind and powerful corporations of our time.

Pablo

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2004 at 6:23am

To Gratajik:

There is a way to access iTunes from a perl script, called iTMS-4-ALL. See:

http://www.downhillbattle.org/cgi-bin/itms4all.pl

gratajik View Drop Down
Music Guru
Music Guru
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gratajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2004 at 8:56pm

That appears to launch quick time samples? Then no, StationRipper doesn't support that as of yet.

-Greg

malfunct View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malfunct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2004 at 2:43pm
Seems that this would be more or less "tivo for web radio" and tivo is ok even when you are recording a perfect copy (DirecTV enabled tivos record the raw stream) so I don't see how this could be a problem if you aren't sharing the content. It will still be a hard fight as the RIAA seems more upset about people getting music than the MPAA does about them recording movies. I guess we will see what happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic