StationRipper Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > StationRipper - Rip Shoutcast stations to MP3's > Fair Use
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedgot this error trying to rip a station

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephjrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2004 at 5:32pm

Using a Betamax to record a program and using software to RIP at my bandwidth expense is way way different. If you want to use a betamax, 8track, tape cassette, or even some other form of recording besides taking up the extra bandwidth that this software requires....go ahead.

Using this software and tieing up my bandwidth to make perfect digital copies of music I had to PAY for is not fair use. Its BULLsh*t.

ken_knapp View Drop Down
Music Lover
Music Lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken_knapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2004 at 1:35am

> We can't give you permission to copy copyrighted works that aren't ours. Why is that so so hard to understand?

You don't have to give us permission, the law already does (Fair Use).  Don't like it, I suggest you try to get the law changed.

josephjrr View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephjrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 5:03pm

>You don't have to give us permission, the law already does (Fair Use).  Don't like it, I suggest you try to get the law changed.

Where have you been ken? In a cave somewhere? READ THE PAPERS. People are getting sued for sharing crap on file sharing networks that they don't have permission to. The FBI just raided some file sharing network run by a "know it all" who thought that the law "gave them permission".

My only concern in all this is that streamripping off of Internet Radio will give us a bad rep and cause us to be in the crosshaires of copyright protection lawsuits. This would shut us down before we even got off the ground.

Why am I even waisting my time....geez...after they eventually shut Internet Radio you'll just move on to your next source for ripping mp3's...if there are any left.

mrmusic View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 5:10pm

Uhh.. riiight.  Sharing music you don't own = bad.  Recording a stream is protected under fair use.  They are two different things.  Mass distributing songs is not the debate.  Our right to record, for personal use, media, IS. I can record TV and Radio and it's LEGAL.

Part of the problem here is that the music industry has so demonized MP3 and the publics use of it that everyone thinks EVERYTHING is illegal, unless you buy it from the industry.  There's always been a balance between the public interest and the intellectual property right owner.  The deal we currently have is Fair Use, and allows us certain rights.  We are exercising them with stream rippers.  If someone stream rips and then shares the music via a P2P network, then yeah, that's not right, as it's not for their use and is no longer protected behavior.   But recording music for your own use IS.

RMSe17 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMSe17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2004 at 4:42am
Actually there is a difference between radio/TV  and   Ripping  a stream.  Difference is that TV and  Radio  are  broadcast over air,  and  everyone  can listen to it.  Streams are  limited resouce.  BTW, recording of a program that is not on public airwaves, ie any cable channel that comes into the calbe package that is not available over an antena, is not legal if the tape is used for over umm..  here I forgot, but I think it's 1 week.  Maybe 2? 

So, how does internet stream come into this?  public airspace?  or is it?!
SuicideSexdwarf View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuicideSexdwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2005 at 8:00pm

Originally posted by DJKiller DJKiller wrote:

Hello, im DJ Killer from Killer Rock Radio.

I also ban and deal with rippers on a daily basis. Its just not right. We fight enough to stay online and you try and give us a by ripping our stations and giving the RIAA one more god damn thing to bitch about with online webscasting...

i have two words for stream rippers... f**k OFF!

You and all the other station people who ban people who record internet radio are freakin idiots, that's not opinion, but fact. I'll prove it, while its your right to your opinion to not like rippers, all of you're treating it like stealing or something, ITS NOT!! Its no different from recording radio from your car or stereo which is protected by law. Also, ripping doesn't put any excess load on your bandwidth, nor does it push up the price of the music your broadcasting. In fact it seems all of you are just a bunch of filelr in this world who don't take the time to think.

WRU617 View Drop Down
Music Lover
Music Lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRU617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:16am
And all of you webcasters who are bitching about the fees, logging, record keeping, etc, can thank your bretheren who pulled off the slimy deal with the RIAA, who then went to Congress and said, "See?  We all agree!" and then it got set in stone.
HeXonX View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeXonX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 10:14am

If you broadcast it, we will rip it! If you try to stop us, we will find ways around it! That's the way it usually goes when you try to micromanage people's behavior. Maybe those of you that complain about it, and organizations like RIAA, should take a good look at why the music industry has been losing money. Could it be that most of what the mainstream media puts out is garbage? Maybe they should get their heads out of their “American Idol” asses and encourage more creativity, and then everyone might make more money.

AltEvoLi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AltEvoLi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 6:51pm
HeXonX, u said it my man.

all of you webcasters knew what the consequences were going to be when putting up an online radio station or at least imagined, so why dont you guys just quit whining...no matter what you guys try to do to prevent people from getting what they like and want you will always lose in the long run..

what happened to the protective crap they were gonna put on CD's from preventing from being ripped? did it work? obviously not so there you go, no matter how much u guys say that it is illegal u cant stop it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic