StationRipper Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > StationRipper - Devs > Code
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStationRipper doesn’t respect the GPL!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPL_Lawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: StationRipper doesn’t respect the GPL!
    Posted: 17 July 2005 at 7:32pm
StationRipper doesn't respect the GPL license.

Do you know the laws about that?

See you soon ...
gratajik View Drop Down
Music Guru
Music Guru
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gratajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 5:48pm

The GPL portions of StationRipper are available over on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/stationripper/). 

-Greg

LOL View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 5:19pm
GPL YOU JUST GOT OWNED :)

good job gratajik :)    
Antony View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 11:30pm
Hello Greg,
Great job, StationRipper is very good!

I understand you are selling the 2.x versions? This may rise GPL issues indeed, unless you rewrote version 2 from scratch. The GPL states (section 2.b) that any work derived from or containing GPL code, must be made GPL too.

Supposing v2 contains code from v1, its whole source code should then be available for free. You can still charge a fee for the binary distribution or maintenance, though.

That's what distributing version 1 under the GPL meant: nobody, not even yourself (!), can use it or part of it except in likewise GPL software.

I know something about it, I too own a sourceforge project, and I had to rewrite it all to make a shareware variant. (Hundreds of hours of hard work, but worth it: the shareware code is cleaner, faster and more stable )

Antony
Antony View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2005 at 12:00am
Errr, I didn't mention that I made the shareware version for someone else, that is, I'm not the owner of the shareware version. Otherwise I wouldn't have rewritten anything The GPL does let the owner of some GPL code use it in commercial products
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic