StationRipper Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > StationRipper - Devs > Code
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStreamripper/StationRipper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Streamripper/StationRipper
    Posted: 01 March 2004 at 11:22am
Hey Greg,

This is Greg (Nk25nak4lTVqNZ9EgyaIzw== on the SR forum).
I'm going to be helping with upgrades to streamripper,
including adding your authentication patch.

Can you explain to me (in sweeping terms) how SR interfaces to SR? I know you rip several streams at
once, but is this does as separate processes or separate
threads? If threads, what function do you call in on?
Do you require modification of the streamripper base
code to fork these off?

Anyway, basically I'll prefer not to break your
interface to streamripper without good reason.

Greg
gratajik View Drop Down
Music Guru
Music Guru
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gratajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2004 at 6:10pm
Hi Nk25nak4lTVqNZ9EgyaIzw==  this is EPDPi/B6yyA=

:)

First, let me say how glad I am that someone is picking up the streamripper sourceforge project.  I was originally going to check StationRipper into that project, but no one ever responded to any requests to get on the dev tree, or to check it in for me :)

It's actually working out ok, as I've had to (slightly) branch the streamripper libs, and I like having my own project (I heavily use the task and bug lists, for example). 

Couple of things.  First, the answer to your question:

StationRipper uses the console for each stream being ripped.  That is, it just spawns the console EXE to do the rip.  In order to make that work, I've modified the console ( http://www.ratajik.com/stationripper_source/Console/TheRippe rConsole.cpp.txt) to be able to interact with the parent application (it's using windows messaging).  This is nice for me, as it allows me to use the streamripper libs essential untouched.  If any changes are made to console file I'll need to merge them in - but as that generally just handles params and such, it's not that big a deal. I looked at moving to threads, but that opened a really nasty can of worms that I chose not to get into when I started.  And if I was going to today, I'd want to make the mods in the base streamripper libs (get rid of globals etc.) and not have a special version (as that would make it tough getting changes integrated in)

I also modified the relay name (so it shows "StationRipper" as the relay server if being used).  That's a real minor change.  I'd actually like to make that a param, or have it use the version string or something.

So, you should be able to go ahead and make any mods you want.  I'm VERY insulated from the streamripper libs, so would anticipate very little work retro-ing changes in.

I'll be very interested to see which you choose to do.  I've considered putting in the track splitting changes, but as I said, I've very reluctant to just start making mods to the base libs.  But that is #1 issue I've been getting, so will want to incorporate anything that helps.

Secondly, would it be possible to add StationRipper under StreamRipper32 or something on the main page?  I actually consider StationRipper to *BE* StreamRipper32.  It's what I original started with, because of my annoyances with that software.  I ended up 100% re-writing the GUI in the end, but I believe it's the open-source child of StreamRipper32 (and its successor)

Let me know if I can provide any other info.  The source code is available at the source forge page (http://sourceforge.net/projects/stationripper/) if you have any more detail questions about how I've used the base libs.

Thanks!

-Greg

gregsharp View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2004 at 10:07am
If StationRipper is spawning an EXE, that is clean and
simple and music to my ears. I'm not in a big hurry
to fix all the globals to allow use of threads,
but this is an idea for the future.

You may want to have your console changes
for windows messaging folded in to the base libs
(#ifdef'd in) but I leave this to your decision.

I talked with Noderunner, and we're going to put together
a new 1.60; the changes are listed on the StreamR
front page. After that I want to implement "rip to
single file" (with a cue sheet) which is a popular
request.

Relay name. As command line argument, right? Seems
easy enough. Let us do this.

StationRipper on the front page is a good idea.
Now SR32 is officially depricated, did you know?
You should email to Noderunner as he is taking
care of the web.

Greg
gratajik View Drop Down
Music Guru
Music Guru
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gratajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2004 at 11:03pm

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I did it.  The ONLY thing StationRipper really needs in the lib's now is the message header.

I think many of the changes that the StationRipper users have been asking for are ripping-releated, so please start codin' fixes :P

The relay name could actually just be the compiled app name or something (add a define to a header). Or a param, but I think the only people that would really WANT that would be apps hidding the console behind them (not a lot of those, lol).

Yeah, I talked to Noderunner.  He said that the support requests are annoying for SR32 as it's dead, so he's going to add StationRipper as the main app to get to replace it. 

Let me know how it goes - I'm planning on releasing StationRipper V1.13 in the next month or so and would LOVE to have a better track splitting solution in place.

-Greg

gregsharp View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2004 at 5:48pm
Hmm, I have to get used to these forums where the lines wrap correctly.

I think I will release the 1.60 very soon. It will have my current track splitting patch with a few additional fixes. But as you may have noticed, it is klunky because it requires manually tuning 6 parameters.

For other ripping-related problems, if you could list up a few of the "most requested" that will give me something to look forward to...    

I'll keep you informed of any other news. Thanks!
gratajik View Drop Down
Music Guru
Music Guru
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gratajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2004 at 10:57pm

Hehe, yeah, WebWiz is REALLY nice.  One of the reasons I'm not hosting on sourceforge (beyond my being a Windoze dev).

Lets set, I've got a lot of things in StationRipper, but stream related:

• Incorrect Track cutting
  • Stream just stops ripping after a period of time (may just be server communication, but it basically hangs.  Don't have a lot more info on this one as I haven't been able to reproduce)
  • Server changes name of the SAME song every so often, so you end up with a bunch of files for one song (don't think we can do anything about this).
  • Some broadcasters are able to detect streamripper even if the user agent is WinAmp or something.  Don't know how they're sniffing it out (and we may not WANT to change this I guess)
  • Multi relays (I've actually got some people using that to relay to ANOTHER machine, but want to listen on the first machine).
  • Oh, and the #1 request after track cut - playing other stream types, primarily windows media.  I'd also like to see Ogg and real.

I think that's about it.  Most of the rest of the list is GUI-related.

Thanks,

-Greg

gregsharp View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2004 at 9:45am
Hi Greg,

A couple of developments:

Track splittings options are complete. These are cmd line options.

I just added a patch from Johannes Buettner for handling name changes within the same song. This is a cmd line option.

Multi-relay didn't go in yet. Luria's patch is only for pthreads, so I gotta do some work to make it work with win32 threads.

I'm still thinking about your front end code. When you are ready to try to upgrade, let me know what you think. If it is easier to #ifdef your changes into the console/streamripper.c that is fine with me.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you posted on any further progress.

Greg S.
gratajik View Drop Down
Music Guru
Music Guru
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gratajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2004 at 5:51pm

Swheet! 

When are you planning on doing the next CVS checkin?  I'd like to go ahead and starting working on figuring out how to best use make use the Track splitting option.

On the #ifdef thing - lets not do that this pass.  That code is really specific to StationRipper ATM.  When I get a chance I'll change it to be a more generic message pump for the console, which would be better to merge into the base code (and then others can easily roll a new windows-based wrapper to streamripper)

Thanks!

-Greg

gregsharp View Drop Down
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2004 at 11:36am
Yes, definitely. I appreciate any suggestions.

The next step for me is the winamp plugins. I've completely neglected these. These will take me a week or two.

Greg S.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic